Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Recipes: Crockpot Whole Italian Chicken
I am so proud of myself! I made a freakin' delicious crock pot chicken last night and I just had to share the recipe with you all. My camera is broken, so no pics. Sorry! Besides, between my husband and myself there wasn't much to photograph cuz we were little piggies last night. Soo..dust off your biggest crock pot and pay attention!
Things that you will need:
*1 3-5 lb WHOLE chicken
*1/4 cup of italian dressing
*one medium sliced onion
*8-10 cloves of garlic (chopped in half)
1/2 cup of mushrooms
1/2 cup of carrots
1 can of italian diced tomatoes
1 bunch of basil
*no-salt seasoning or poultry seasoning
*2 tbsp of butter
*1-2 tbsp of olive oil
1. Start by washing the chicken inside and out. Remove the giblets and throw them away(or fry them up for a southern treat).
2. After patting the skin with a paper towel, liberally salt the chicken inside and out. Season the bird with the no-salt seasoning, olive oil, and pepper.
3. Place the bird in the crock pot. Stuff the cavity of the bird with the garlic, washed basil, and half of the onions.
4. Surround the bird with the mushrooms, diced tomatoes, carrots, and remaining onions. Pour the italian dressing on top of the bird and veggies.
5. Finish the bird with an additional small dash of salt and pepper if desired.
6. Cook chicken on high for 2 hours and low for 6-7 hours. Or you can cook it on low for 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours depending on the size of the bird.
7. Enjoy with some white rice, potatoes, pasta, or alone!
Tips: Crock pot chicken leftovers make great great meals for the rest of the week. Try chicken burritos, chicken sandwiches, or just about any other meal you can think of!